Silver Foliage Shines on Other Plants
Plants with silver or gray foliage are superstars in the color garden. Like any superstar they always shine on their own, but their true value comes in making other plants look better. Silver is one of the most complementary tones. It highlights soft colors like blue, pink and white, making them stand out strong where they might otherwise fade into the background. Silver also softens strong colors like red and orange, providing a smooth transition between normally combatant shades.
Here are a few of our favorite silver-foliaged plants to try in your garden:
- snow-in-summer (Cerastium tomentosum)
- Crete dittany (Origanum dictamnus)
- germander sage (Salvia chamaedryoides)
- lavender cotton (Santolina chamaecyparissus)
- bush germander (Teucrium fruticans)
Check plant labels or your favorite garden book for the appropriate growing conditions and eventual size to see how each plant will fit in your planting site.