Home Grown Tomatoes – Straight From Your Patio
Research Triangle Park, N.C. – Edible gardening has become a cultural phenomenon. The need to save money at the grocery store and the desire to have better-tasting fruits and vegetables has sparked an increase in home gardening. According to the Garden Writers Association, 41 million U.S. households have a vegetable garden and 37 percent plan to expand the size of their edible garden this year.
Do you want to take the first step? Consider growing tomatoes in a container right on your patio or balcony.
“Growing tomatoes is one of the most popular forms of edible gardening,” says Bayer Advanced™ Garden Expert Lance Walheim, author of Vegetable Gardening. “They can be grown from seeds or plants and they make an excellent addition to a salad.”
Tips for successful tomato growing:
- Choose your tomato: The Patio Hybrid tomato was developed just for containers, but you can also grow varieties like Celebrity, Early Girl, Sweet Tangerine, or Northern Exposure.
- Containers: The bigger the better, but containers that are at least five gallons are the best size for promoting growth. Make sure the container has a hole in the bottom for drainage.
- Soils and fertilization: Use a high quality potting soil and fertilize twice a month.
- When to water: The rule of thumb is to water the base of the plant when the top two inches of soil have dried. Container-grown tomatoes can require daily watering as the plant gets bigger.
- Destructive insects and diseases: Whiteflies and tomato hornworms like to eat tomatoes. Diseases such as blight and powdery mildew can harm your plants as well. The brand new Bayer Advanced Natria™ Insect, Disease and Mite Control RTU contains sulphur and pyrethrins to control insects and diseases that affect tomatoes in one ready-to-spray application. Be sure to read and follow all label directions.
Visit BayerAdvanced.com for more gardening information and to view how-to videos or call 1-877-BAYERAG.
About Bayer Advanced™
Bayer Advanced is one of the leading consumer lawn and garden brands in the United States. Driven by innovative thinking and category-leading research, Bayer Advanced provides innovative and effective solutions that help consumers grow beautiful lawns and gardens and protect their landscapes from pests, weeds and diseases.
Always read and follow label directions before using Bayer Advanced products. Visit BayerAdvanced.com for more information and to view how-to videos, or call 1-877-BAYERAG.
Bayer Advanced is a business group of Bayer CropScience LP, the U.S. affiliate of Bayer CropScience AG. Bayer Advanced, Bayer CropScience LP, and Bayer CropScience AG are part of the Bayer AG family, a FORTUNE Global 500 company.
About Bayer CropScience
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience AG, a subsidiary of Bayer AG with annual sales of about EUR 6.5 billion (2009), is one of the world’s leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and plant biotechnology. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global work force of more than 18,000 and is represented in more than 120 countries. Visit www.bayercropscience.com for more details.