RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. (April 5, 2011) – Millions of us are buying seed packets or plants and heading to the backyard to plant our own vegetables. The reason? According to the National Gardening Association, it’s all about creating better-tasting produce and saving money.
“Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, beans and carrots are some of the most popular vegetables to grow in your backyard,” said Lance Walheim, co-author of the Sunset Vegetable Gardening book and gardening expert for Bayer Advanced™. “Home-grown veggies taste great and you’ll save hundreds of dollars a year.”
Walheim has a few tips for successful vegetable gardening:
- Choose the easiest veggies to grow. Tomatoes, radishes, zucchini, carrots, peas, peppers and lettuce will help make your first attempt at vegetable gardening successful.
- Choose the sunniest spot. Vegetables need up to eight hours of direct sunlight in rich, well-drained soil. Start with a 6’ x 10’ plot to keep the size manageable. Use string to mark off rows running east to west for the best sun exposure.
- Plant at the right time. Your local county extension service can help guide you on what to plant and when.
- Control destructive pests. Aphids, mites, leafhoppers and mealybugs are the kinds of pests that eat veggies. Bayer Advanced™ Natria Multi-Insect Control kills harmful insects on contact and it’s made with canola oil. It’s for organic gardening. (BayerAdvanced.com.) Always read and follow label directions.
- Deep, infrequent watering is key: Stick your finger in the soil. If it’s dry, then water. One inch of water will wet sandy soil a foot deep and clay soil about five inches deep.
- Organic mulch helps keeps the weeds out. It also decomposes, feeds the plants and keeps the soil loose and cool.
- Feed your veggies. Apply nitrogen fertilizer regularly, especially when they’re young.
You might consider sharing your great-tasting veggies with your neighbors. If they become interested in gardening, you can pool your resources, create your own neighborhood food co-op and save even more money.
About Bayer Advanced™
Bayer Advanced is one of the leading consumer lawn and garden brands in the United States. Driven by innovative thinking and category-leading research, Bayer Advanced provides innovative and effective solutions that help consumers grow beautiful lawns and gardens and protect their landscapes from pests, weeds and diseases. Always read and follow label directions before using Bayer Advanced products. Visit www.bayeradvanced.com for more information and to view how-to videos, or call 1-877-BAYERAG.
Bayer Advanced is a business group of Bayer CropScience LP, the U.S. affiliate of Bayer CropScience AG. Bayer Advanced, Bayer CropScience LP, and Bayer CropScience AG are part of the Bayer AG family, a FORTUNE Global 500 company.
About Bayer CropScience
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience, a subgroup of Bayer AG with annual sales of EUR 6.830 billion (2010), is one of the world’s leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global workforce of 20,700 and is represented in more than 120 countries. This and further news is available at: www.press.bayercropscience.com.