RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. (April 5, 2011) – It’s going to take awhile to dig out of the housing crisis. Some analysts predict falling home prices this year, while others predict modest gains in some cities.
“Your house is the biggest investment you’ll ever make, so it’s important to protect that investment inside and outside,” said Lance Walheim, Landscaping for Dummies co-author and lawn and garden expert for Bayer Advanced™.
According to a 2009 study by Texas Tech, for every $1 you spend to dramatically improve an average landscape, you’ll receive $1.35 in increased property value.
Painting, updating bathrooms, kitchens and lighting fixtures and sprucing up cabinets and doors with new hardware will improve the interior of your home.
Here are some tips for protecting your landscaping investment and improving curb appeal.
- Make a snap judgment: Stand in the front of your yard and look at your house and property. What’s your first impression? If your home doesn’t impress you, then it’s not going to impress neighbors, home appraisers or potential buyers. It’s time to attack the problem areas.
- Prune your shrubs: Your shrubbery should be neat and natural looking. Make sure you leave about a foot between your shrubs and your house to prevent mildew, rot, ants and termites from attacking your home.
- Prune your trees: Remove branches that could fall and cause injury or property damage. You should also remove diseased or insect-infested wood and prune to enhance the natural look of your trees.
- Protect against destructive pests: Asian Longhorned Beetle, Hemlock Woolly Adelgid, adult Japanese Beetles, Gypsy Moths and Tent Caterpillars are some of the most common pests that will destroy your trees or shrubs if left unchecked. Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed II (BayerAdvanced.com) helps you protect your trees from destructive pests. Mix it with water and apply it around the roots of the tree. It protects for up to 12 months. Always read and follow label directions.
- Add some color: Add some pansies, violas, snapdragons and primrose around mailbox posts, driveway and walkway entrances and other sunny spots to make your landscape pop.
Finally, it’s a good idea to spot-check your landscape for any problems while you mow your grass. That’ll save you time and help keep minor issues from getting bigger.
About Bayer Advanced™
Bayer Advanced is one of the leading consumer lawn and garden brands in the United States. Driven by innovative thinking and category-leading research, Bayer Advanced provides innovative and effective solutions that help consumers grow beautiful lawns and gardens and protect their landscapes from pests, weeds and diseases. Always read and follow label directions before using Bayer Advanced products. Visit www.bayeradvanced.com for more information and to view how-to videos, or call 1-877-BAYERAG.
Bayer Advanced is a business group of Bayer CropScience LP, the U.S. affiliate of Bayer CropScience AG. Bayer Advanced, Bayer CropScience LP, and Bayer CropScience AG are part of the Bayer AG family, a FORTUNE Global 500 company.
About Bayer CropScience
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience, a subgroup of Bayer AG with annual sales of EUR 6.830 billion (2010), is one of the world’s leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global workforce of 20,700 and is represented in more than 120 countries. This and further news is available at: www.press.bayercropscience.com.