RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. (April 5, 2011) – It’s summertime. You’ve just returned from your relaxing family vacation at the beach. You drive up to your house and then you’re shocked by what you see — brown spots in your beautiful green lawn.
Oh, you’re not losing your mind. The sprinkler system worked just fine. The kid who cuts your grass didn’t scalp it.
Your lawn has a disease. You’ve got fungus. And it can spread quickly if you don’t treat it.
“Lawn diseases are often caused by bad lawn-care habits,” said Lance Walheim, co-author of Lawn Care for Dummies and lawn care expert for Bayer Advanced™. “Prevention is the key to save time, money and your lawn.”
Here are a few helpful tips:
- Make sure your lawn has proper drainage: If part of your lawn is constantly wet, you’ve got a breeding ground for fungus. Aerating is one of the best ways to improve drainage. But, you might need to add soil, grade and replant grass in areas that are consistently wet.
- Water early: Be sure to water your lawn before 10:00 a.m., so that it dries off in the afternoon. Deep, infrequent watering gives your grass time to dry out.
- Prevent the problem: Bayer Advanced Fungus Control for Lawns (BayerAdvanced.com) cures and prevents common lawn diseases such as brown patch, dollar spot, rust and others. In fact, it prevents diseases for up to 30 days. The hose-end sprayer covers a 5,000-square-foot lawn fast with one application. For best results, apply when conditions are favorable for disease development. (Contact your local cooperative extension agent for information on turf diseases in your area.) Always read and follow label directions.
- Mow at the right height for your kind of grass: Mowing too low weakens grass. Don’t cut wet grass. Wait for your lawn to dry off from the morning dew or after a rainfall.
- Fertilization: You should check with your local cooperative extension service for the proper feeding schedule for your type of grass and climate.
Lawn diseases sneak up quickly, even during drought conditions. So, keep an eye out for them when you’re out in your yard.
About Bayer Advanced™
Bayer Advanced is one of the leading consumer lawn and garden brands in the United States. Driven by innovative thinking and category-leading research, Bayer Advanced provides innovative and effective solutions that help consumers grow beautiful lawns and gardens and protect their landscapes from pests, weeds and diseases. Always read and follow label directions before using Bayer Advanced products. Visit www.bayeradvanced.com for more information and to view how-to videos, or call 1-877-BAYERAG.
Bayer Advanced is a business group of Bayer CropScience LP, the U.S. affiliate of Bayer CropScience AG. Bayer Advanced, Bayer CropScience LP, and Bayer CropScience AG are part of the Bayer AG family, a FORTUNE Global 500 company.
About Bayer CropScience
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience, a subgroup of Bayer AG with annual sales of EUR 6.830 billion (2010), is one of the world’s leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global workforce of 20,700 and is represented in more than 120 countries. This and further news is available at: www.press.bayercropscience.com.